• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

What are the most bad SEO mistakes at an online store?

WebmastersMind

Administrative
Staff member
Oracol XOR Partner
Official Support
Oracol (XOR)
1. Lack of modern design.

Most of us visit many sites daily, and sometimes we access outdated sites without modern design, sites that are not in line with current user requirements. Some sites have templates 10 years ago and we still find unoptimized mobile sites. We are in 2018 and our perceptions have changed lately as there are more and more Internet users. As visitors give up visiting an outdated site, so too, Google will give up positioning that site in its first results. What should be done is to give users a very good experience, because if users will fall in love with your brand, Google will do it.

Trends that we are seeing increasingly prominent in 2018 and worth considering are the use of larger buttons, the use of images or the hero slider, the use of bigger and thicker words.

2. Loading speed

There are so many data that shows that load speed has a huge impact on bounce rate, conversion rate, and so on. For example, Google released a study showing that 53% of users are leaving a site that is loading in more than 3 seconds.

To increase your upload speed, your page should have a maximum of 500kb, the loading time to the first byte is up to 1.3 seconds, and the number of items uploaded in site is not greater than 50.

3. Lack of an SSL certificate

At this time, about 70% of the sites on the front page of Google have installed an active SSL certificate. It's worth considering installing a security certificate on your site as well, as users will have more confidence to navigate through your site to provide more security and privacy, and it has also been proven that Google data Analytics is much more accurate in the presence of an SSL certificate.

One reason you deserve to do it is because Chrome, a Google-owned browser, gave a last-minute website that does not have an SSL certificate. The ultimatum is that non-https sites will be marked "Not secure" by Chrome, starting in July this year.

4. Buying links.

I'm doing SEO for about 13-14 years, and I think I've seen them all in these years. I understand after so many years that if you do not play correctly, then Google will penalize you. There is a provision in the Google Webmaster Guide that prevents Webmasters from buying links, and I invite you to take this into account. Otherwise, it would be a pity to be penalized, because all the experience tells you that recovery will be very expensive and long-lasting. Therefore, do SEO only with people who know what they are doing. And if you do not have a budget for this, I advise you to create such a good business that others can write about you naturally.

5. Duplicate content.

If you have products that others have, contrary to popular perception, your site will not be penalized. However, there is a ranking of sites based on multiple criteria such as domain authority and page quality.
But another very important aspect that many stores do not respect is the fact that they have items in sites that can be considered duplicate content. For example, identical descriptions of several pages, categories that have filters that do not have a canonical option installed, or sites that have the same versus www versus non-www, or http versus https, which creates the prerequisites duplicate content.

I recommend that you consider all of these aspects that I have listed, and I am convinced that your business will thrive.